Monday, June 04, 2007

The Plot Thickens...

Here it is, the first Community Garden Plot we've had in over 20 years! Although I haven't gardened for veggies in all that time, other than the occasional planter of lettuce or tomato's, I've spent lots of time reading my "green bible"..the Rodale book of Gardening. Plus, my Aunt Nancy has gardened forever, and I used to help her in her garden when I was a teen; as my boys will tell you, that's about when dinosaurs roamed the earth....

Anyway, I chose to do raised beds...lots more work to prep the garden beds, but so worth it. The soil was pretty well tilled, so raking the dirt up wasn't horrendous. It took me 3 days to do all the beds in #13. Robbie helped me plant, as he had just finished a 2 session homeschooling class at our local Audubon sanctuary on veggie gardening; all the kids hoed, dug in manure from the sheep, and planted. I didn't make him hoe the beds up, but he was invaluable in planting most of the beds. This far, our raised beds have far fewer weeds than do our neighbors (brag, brag!). But when we were done planting, we had plenty of plants left over, but no more room in our 10X13 plot!

I noted that several of the plots were untilled, so I asked if I could have a 2nd plot...and after a week, I got one!

Plot 11 was originally going to be the "water depot"...so everyone threw their rocks into the space..erg! Yesterday I went up and started de-rocking and creating my beds. The boys really, really wanted watermelon and pumpkins, so I planted those in the center so they'd have room to spread.
With the plot comes a variety of veggies. With yesterdays fog/drizzle, I only had time for planting my leftover tomato's as well as the 2 flats that came with the plot...but here they are! Tomorrow, when the rain from TS Barry leaves New England, I hope to put in a bunch of peppers, some hot, some bell...I'll be canning for weeks and weeks and weeks....

1 comment:

Laume said...

How fun! I bet you meet all sorts of wonderful people as well. I remember the summer we had enough acreage to allow each kid their own garden area. It was fun to see the odd combinations of plants the kids chose and the unexpected enthusiasm and successes they had.