Thursday, June 28, 2007

Thursday, Last Day of the Heat Wave...

The dawn broke with the sky exactly this color, like everything was bathed in a quicksilver and pearl dust. It was so hot and ever so humid, which we ordinarily would expect, as it's summer, after all. But last week we nearly turned the heat on as it was in the upper 40's to low 50's each morning, and didn't warm much beyond that. To say we New Englanders are not yet acclimated to summer weather would be an understatement! But the light...oh goddess how I wish I could paint this!



The day passed with not terrible hot temperatures, but the humidity was terrible. It felt like one was breathing water. Yuck! We were all feeling draggy and drawn by suppertime, but we had a lovely dinner salad with vegetarian chicken that I quick-fried in olive oil and soy sauce, total yumminess. Decided to eat out on the deck for the first time this summer yay! I replaced boards there last week and painted it Monday when it was hot but not humid. Spent Tuesday getting the furniture out of the shed in the way back yard, rolling the glass-topped table carefully down the ramp, across the lawn, up through the bushes and up the steps to the deck. Today I got two basket planters of red, white, and blue petunia's from the grocery store of all places, but it was one less thing I needed to go, and I cannot go to the garden center and spend less than $100 at a shot.
After dinner, Lee and the boys headed up to the local playground, and I finished gathering things for camping this weekend. So much stuff for 2.5 days! The fun of a large-ish family, right? We might need a shoehorn to get everyone into the van but heck, we'll do it!
As I hung out my wash, noticed the clouds. The sun had set, the thunderstorms totally missed our area for a change (we've had a ton of Tstorms this spring, very unusual ) but we had these awesome clouds and the background clouds were all shades of pink...

with all these dark purple tones mixed in. And if I hadn't have been doing laundry, I would have missed the show completely!

Then, a short while ago, around 1030 pm, I went out to the cellar for the diaper wash and spied the nearly-full moon peering down amongst skudding clouds. I've been trying to play with settings on my digital camera as I know I'm not using it to it's full potential, and got this cool shot of the clouds breaking, frosted by moonglow, as She broke free of them for a moment.

It has been the best photo day I've ever had!

1 comment:

Laume said...

What beautiful skies. The night before last I was outside and saw a RED moon, from the forest fire smoke.