Saturday, August 25, 2007

Florid

No, I am not in this picture. Now, why would I spend the hottest day of the summer (and feeling doubly hot since all this week it was in the 40's and 50's ) at the beach? Cool breezes, cold water, relaxing??? Heck no!

No, I spent the day, a full 10 hours, canning peaches. Last weekend we picked 75 pounds of peaches, and had thought I'd have time during the week to work on canning them, a bit each day. But it got so cold the ripening never happened ... until Friday night. Sooo, up and at 'em by 630 this a.m. and by 430 I had completed 20 quarts of peaches, AND 6 quart jars plus 4 pint jars of peach pie filling. It's a wonderful thing to open the pantry on Jan 1. and whip out a jar of peach pie filling and make a pie in moments (make crust, dump in filling, bake)...and from ingredients that we harvested ourselves!!

My feet are so tired and sore they have disowned me for the rest of the night, but I have such a feeling of accomplishment. Each time I walk into the kitchen, all those wonderful jars of fruit are winking back at me!

Next up; kolhrabi to blanch and freeze, and eggplant casserole to make and freeze.

Tomorrow.

AFTER we go to the beach!

No comments: