Saturday, September 06, 2008

and still more tomatoes...



this tomato haul was collected just before we were heading out for our annual labor day camping in Maine. I decided to get all the harvesting in that I could so nothing would rot on the vine during the 5 days we would be gone. never, in my wildest dreams did I imagine that there would be this many tomatoes ready after just 4 days away from the garden!! So, in addition to packing a family of 6 for camping, preparing food for same, etcetera, I had to make stewed tomatoes. Made somewhere in the vicinity of 30 pints from this haul!


Came home Monday, gathered even more tomatoes, and made 17 pints of salsa and 25 cups of marinara, which I froze. Oh, the house smells Yummy these days!

1 comment:

Laume said...

Look at all those tomatoes! And those purple beans, those are good, huh! Next year, try growing Dragon's Tongue (beans) - the are neat yellow and purple striped and they're really soft and buttery tasting. And prolific. I think they're a bush bean, not a vine. Oh, and I like your countertop.