Thursday, September 11, 2008

Sept 11


And in my earlier post I didn't refer to the date at all. Laume, in her blog, beachtreasure.blogspot.com, does a far more eloquent job than I ever could about this day.


I spent some time being sad.


Went to the cemetary to visit my Mom's grave, and wife's grandparents graves. Super suprise at my mom's grave....the wee flowers that KC had grown from seed had flourished there, way more than in my gardens here at home, and waving zinnia's arched up and over Mom's stone, red, yellow, orange, white...the marigolds he so laboriously planted, seed by tiny seed are now 3 feet tall and flower heads bigger than my closed fist!!


Mom was an avid gardener, and I guess her gift lingers on there. And she knew the flowers were a gift from a grandson who will never meet her.


then I went to my garden on the hill, the community garden that has brought more tomato's to this house then I've ever seen before in one spot in my life. Up on the hill, the sun was setting, the sky was robin egg blue, with pink tinged clouds. No bird calls disturbed the hush that announced day's ending. I stood, hands overflowing with tomato's and thought about all those people in New York, and Pennsylvania, and Washington DC. All the men and women overseas who have given their lives in response to the terror and anguish of 7 years ago. and I prayed.


and I remember the joy and expectancy that filled my heart that fateful morning as we prepared for our first visit from a social worker, to begin the adoption process for the hoped for arrival of 3 children we saw on television, and during the interview process got the call from work to turn on the TV quickly, the world had changed in a heartbeat, and we stared in horror as we tuned in just in time to see the first tower go down ....


a day of heartache and hope forever intertwined.


5 months later our son came home to us. His sisters did not come to live with us, but they are still part of the family of our hearts.


since then two more have come, both infants, now 4 and almost 2.


Life is full, and busy and tiring, and fulfilling. I thank the Goddess for every day I get to spend with my kids, and for not letting me become a recluse living in fear. Life is meant to be lived!

To be here, with my kids is a gift I cannot imagine living without.


Blessed be for this day. Blessings for those lost, and for those left behind. Blessings on my children, and to those that have lost a parent on this day. A day of anniversaries...happy and sad, fear and relief, familes torn asunder and families come together.


for this is life.

1 comment:

Laume said...

Thanks for calling me eloquent - once in a while it just sort of bubbles up I guess. Your voice is pretty poetic lately too. And I'm just lovin' the story of the seeds flourishing on your mom's grave. There's something special between a grandparent and grandchild, even from across the veil.