Sunday, January 13, 2008

snowsacomin'

After a very snowy December in the northeast, we had such lovely weather this week. Kiddos and I went out every day to play in our diminishing snowpack. First there was almost 3 feet, then 2 feet, then one foot, then big holes in the snow where lawn showed through. Rain on Friday took care of most of the rest. The base of the giant snowperson in the backyard is a frozen hummock but most of the yard is clear.

Got to poop-scoop (oh yeah, I live for that chore!) and fill the birdfeeder, and gather up the big branches that fell from our nearly-dead sugar maple. That tree was supposed to come down before Thanksgiving, but the tree guy was delayed by weather and then the snow came and stayed. At least we can see down the road when we turn out!

but then there is tonight...we could get another 14 inches (that's what we got in the last storm about 2 or 3 weeks ago), and another storm coming in for Friday. A week bracketed by snow. Kewl.

I choose to live in New England because I do like the weather. Oh, I complain about the heat in August, and that darned polar express that brings us sub-zero temps in February, but the rest of it, yeah, I like it. And although I'm so wayyy not a kid anymore, the thought of snowstorms excites me, every bit as much as thunderstorms do. I love to look up from my back porch and see the flakes just flying down at me, see the beauty and pristine whiteness...the Ansel Adams portrait of the outdoors. And I like how luminescent the backyard is even when it's deep dark midnight...the snow just reflects all the light and it doesn't seem so densely dark. Snow-glow or somesuch.

So, I'll be waking up early and looking outside! The dog will be excited in his puppy way, the boys will love it, although as homeschoolers, there are no snow days for us per se. Snow play, oh yes!

No comments: