Tuesday, October 14, 2008

more autumn pix, maybe spooky, too!













Isn't it strange that one side of the road has turned color,
but the other side hasn't? Same climate, but less sunlight?
Hmmm, spoooky!

















And just a bit down the road...sha-boom~ a gorgeous
riot of colors, even on this murky day.











And in my own yard, my "slow" maple has begun to turn as well,
a gorgeous tri-colored delight. I love how the red-orange
just glows in the low light from the overcast. The dark
pines behind make a nice contrast, too.













And my own cheery front door! KC painted the jack o lantern
last year, when he was 3, hence the few missed spots that make
it all the more precious to me.
Didja know that Indian corn was hung on doors to symbolize
that harvest had ended? I didn't know that! And our harvest
has indeed ended, pout. I was soooooo terrifically sad to turn
in the garden plot. We had to have it all done by today, so the farm
could plow it under. I loved my community garden plot, the location was
only 4 miles from my house, and high on a hill. Sunsets and thunderstorms were
awesome from up here, and the gardens got great wind movement to help
them to grow strong and steady. It was so sad to pull up the vines, pull up stakes,
literally and figuratively, and say goodbye. And yet, there is a larder full of things
from the garden, to fill our bellies with our own grown food!
As Candice Olsen from HGTV says...."How Divine"!!

2 comments:

Laume said...

That is weird how one side of the road is turning before the other. Is it more light on the south facing side? Or cooler temperatures on the northern side? Both?

I like the bright red sumac in the one photo - I miss that. We have it out here, but not all along the roads like back east.

I still have to tackle cleaning my back yard/gardens. Sigh.

Laume said...

P.S. I like your new blog banner photo with the misty almost full moon. Did you take that a few days ago?